Sunday, June 26, 2011

I landed in Mommyville not Oz

Its official....after a whirlwind three months I landed in Mommyville not Oz.

I've always loved writing and with the new addition of Evan in our lives it seems like a perfect time to start a blog to keep everyone updated. I'm not quite convinced that my life out in the plains of Kansas is interesting enough to warrant a blog but I figure at least my mom, my sister, and my best friend will read it or at least will tell me they read it to make me feel validated. (No pressure mom, Kate, and Heidi :) ).

So I have officially been a mommy for 12 weeks! At times, I still can't believe that Evan came into our lives almost 3 months ago but it definitely is true. He's already hitting those developmental milestones out of the park (tracking people and objects, lifting his head up, sleeping through the night, grabbing things, smiling and cooing at us). It totally makes sense to me now why people are always talking about how quickly kids grow up!
The end of the school year has ushered in an endless parade of lazy, relaxing summer days for us all. Scott is on summer break from his job as a high school athletic trainer, and I'm just doing a little bit of writing and research from home.  Usually the summer is our time for traveling adventures but this year we decided to stay close to home and let everyone come to visit us (or more accurately Evan). 

Since Evan arrived, I find myself slowly becoming the stereotypical mom. Its funny how quickly those mom behaviors kick in. I worry that he's too hot. I worry that he's too cold. I check on him when he makes too much noise. I check on him when he isn't making any noise. The other day I even caught myself using spit on my thumb to wipe something off his face...GASP!

As a new mom, I find that I am always pondering parenting questions. Here are a few that I've been puzzling over lately:
(1) Why do babies poop and fart louder than most full grown adults??? Or is this just my son??
(2) How is it that sometimes babies can sleep through the house falling down around them and then other times you can drop something three rooms away and they wake up screaming?
(3) How much spit up on the shirt (mine not his) is too much to go out in public?

Anyways....these are just some initial thoughts to get my blog going. Stay tuned for more to come......hopefully a little more interesting :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for blogging! I'm looking forward to reading about all of your adventures in Mommyville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my votes...Re: spitups...stick a drooly bib on him and out the door you go. Re: wakeups...use a white noise machine. Re: toots...Ty was our noisiest babe so maybe it's a boy thang. Can't wait to keep up w you all on this blog.

    ReplyDelete