Friday, August 5, 2011

Evan Mendenhall- KU Freshman in 2012?

So I recently realized (or came out of denial) that the cost of daycare for one year for an infant is roughly equivalent to the cost of one year of in-state tuition at University of Kansas. With that scary realization in mind, I've decided that we need to find reasonable ways to decrease spending in our household. 

Things I'm doing in an effort to cut spending and save money in our household:
(1) Using coupons: Have any of you seen the show Extreme Couponing on TLC? Its about coupon obsessed moms who take binders of coupons to the store and buy tons of things they don't need (like 30 bottles of mustard) but get it all for practically free. Yeah, well after a couple of hours searching the internet trying to figure out how I can use coupons to get my groceries for free, I got bored and gave up.  I decided that's not me. I don't have the discipline or time to be that disciplined.  However, I'm still trying and hoping that my $2 of savings at each grocery trip someday adds up to at least an hour of daycare (Side note: If you haven't seen the show Extreme Couponing, you HAVE to check it out. It is pretty awe inspiring in a weird way.)

(2) Utilizing Groupon specials- I've been trying to use Groupon coupons to cut costs in other areas that tend to be extras. For example, they always have specials for good restaurants in Lawrence ($50 to spend at Teller's for only $25, $20 to spend at Genevese for only $10, etc). I buy those deals in anticipation of our rare nights out. Also I buy the Groupon deals for the local salons so that I can get my haircut at half the price.  If you have never tried Groupon, you should check out the great deals. The deals aren't just in Lawrence but can be found across the country (http://www.groupon.com/r/uu21476338)! But I have to warn you it can get a little addicting! I can't decide if I'm actually saving money or buying things that I wouldn't buy otherwise. 

(3) Planning the weekly dinner menu in advance: For the past month, I have been creating a list of dinner options for each week (quick & easy options and options that take more time). I go to the grocery store on the weekend and buy all of the necessary ingredients for that week's meals. Then each day we pick what we want off the list for that night's dinner. I think planning in advance keeps us from buying random stuff at the grocery store and overall gets us to eat better.  Now we don't have random nights when at 7:30 we are like "what do you want for dinner?"..."I don't know."...."I don't feel like cooking. Let's order a pizza."

(4) Buying generic brand stuff rather than name brand:  So I haven't been doing so well with this one. I've been trying to buy store brand stuff (like Dillons and Hyvee) rather than name brand stuff to save a few extra bucks but some stuff just is not the same!!! Its like eating a gourmet meal or eating cardboard. Dillons brand cinnamon rolls versus Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. No contest, Pillsbury wins out hands down.  The little doughman knows how to cook.

(5) Subscribing to Amazon Mom to get diapers and wipes:  Huge economy size boxes of diapers and wipes delivered right to your door at a regularly scheduled interval from Amazon.com. No driving, free shipping, great pricing, need I say more? (Plus it gives you free shipping on almost all other orders you make not just baby stuff!)

I know that the veteran parents out there are like "yeah, we've been telling you all along that kids are expensive."  Well its finally become a reality for me, and I welcome any and all suggestions on how to reasonably cut spending and save money! If you've got something that works for you, I invite you to share in the blog comments space. I'd love to hear it and others might too! :)
   
However if all this fails, I'm thinking we skip this daycare business and send Evan straight to college next year. It's the same cost so why not? I can write a kick ass application essay so he will get in. We will get him started early and have our own baby Einstein.

So we have started to prepare him just in case.......


The Classic: Good Night Moon

He's already a good student! :)

2 comments:

  1. This was such an interesting post. Stefan and I are going to try planning a weekly dinner menu in advance. Our eating is terrible when I am in school and we are such a sucker for ordering pizza. I agree with you that not all generic food is the same as name brand. I have found that Macaroni and Cheese and Cheez-Its have to be name brand or they are super yucky. I cannot get over the cost of daycare. That is outrageous. Hope you find some good ways to save and share them on here. I really enjoy reading all your posts (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Amy---I have been couponing for about 2 months and my grocery bills are about 40% less!! I can send you an email if you are interested. Also, I buy Reese's clothes at baby consignment stores. They are all over Charleston and I am a little picky(have to be clean, organized) but I don't spend more that $10 on an outfit and that is on the expensive side. Normally, I spend about $4-5 per outfit. They have gymboree, baby gap, children's place---all the cute stuff!
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete